While picture gets all the hype when it comes to televisions, sound is an important factor as well. When watching a movie on your HDTV, you want audio quality to match the picture quality. Our last two blogs took an in-depth look at 4K televisions with HDR (high dynamic range) technology. With a 4K ultra high-definition picture, wouldn’t you want ultra high definition audio to match?
With most TVs on the market being high-definition these days, there’s also high-definition audio. Although there are no concrete specifications to declare audio “HD” (unlike high-def video, which has to meet certain criteria to earn the name), the term generally refers to audio that has a higher sampling frequency and bit depth than CD format (16-bit/44.1kHz). High-definition audio files usually use a sampling frequency or 96kHz or 192kHz at 24-bit, but you can also have 88.2kHz and 176.4kHz files too (source).
If you’re in the market for a home theater system, there are more options available than just the standard 5.1 channel that is currently in most homes today. You can opt for the 7.1 channel system, which is becoming more popular and uses seven speakers instead of five. Typically, you would set one of these home theater systems up like this:
- Two speakers on either side of your TV for the soundtrack and special effects
- A center-channel speaker in front of/below your TV for dialogue and other on-screen action
- Two rear speakers for atmospheric and directional sound effects
- A subwoofer usually placed off to the side/in the corner for deeper bass
- For the 7.1 channel system, the extra two speakers are added to the sides of the room to complete the surround-sound effect.
Typically, either of these systems includes a dedicated A/V receiver or a Blu-ray player. At Davis TV, we specialize in custom home theater audio or sound bars. If all this audio information is overwhelming, don’t hesitate to stop by! Davis TV will be happy to go over everything with you and match you with the best audio system to complement your HDTV viewing experience. Stop in today and we’ll make sure you get the best bang for your buck!